I started building a John Welsford Pathfinder in July 2008. The boat was completed in Oct, 2010.

This blog now records our use of the boat, but documentation of building the boat can be found in the archives.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

All stringers on. One lesson learned....let the epoxy cure before applying huge amounts of force on it.

One stringer in particular....I think the first one up from the chine, has some serious twist in addition to bend in the aft portion, and I broke the first two on the starboard side (wood itself breaking, not the scarf joint), then, growing impatient, I finally got the third try into place and glued in. Time to celebrate. But, this was only about 12 hours after I had glued the scarf in that stringer. Of course, after the glue securing the stringer to the frames had hardened, the scarf itself broke with a loud bang, in fact, right in front of me as I was looking at it to check the curve.

Having been through a number of situations like this, I did not cry. I cleaned up the scarf, used some straps to pull the wood back into position, glued it, and let it set for about a week before releasing the straps. It worked, it wasn't the most fair curve in the world, but I don't think you can tell by looking at the planking now.

No comments: